The Aspen Spear is a Melee weapon introduced in the 16.8.0 update. It can be obtained from the Halloween Season Battle Pass.
It is a cross-like spear that attacks players in close range with critical damage and more damage to the cursed. It has good damage, decent attack speed, and low mobility.
The weapon takes the form of a large cross-like spear. It features a long shaft with red wraps around it, a cross acting as the head of the spear, and three bloodied spear tips. In addition, the player also wields a set of garlic bulbs on a chain on his/her other hand.
When the attack button is pressed, the user will swing the spear, creating a shockwave in front of the user. They deal damage to the opponent only in close range. Moreover, this weapon has a critical damage attribute, which means that the user has a chance to deal twice the damage of this weapon. It also has the "more damage to the cursed" attribute, which is also another form of critical damage but only to those who are cursed.
It has a fixed delay input. This means that once the player switches from any weapon to this weapon, the Aspen Spear always has a delay lasting around half of a second.
- This is a melee weapon, so it is best to use it in close-range maps.
- Use this to mow down heavily armored players due to its high damage per second.
- Use the area damage and critical damage attribute to your advantage by severely damaging multiple enemies.
- In melee versus melee combat in a choke point, it is recommended to move forward while in the swinging animation. This allows for multiple enemies to be hit and you can't be chased as there is a high chance someone was behind you and could be finished off.
- Due to its area damage attribute, it is effective for keeping other melee users away from you.
- Equip the Berserk Boots and Berserk Cape to maximize mobility speed.
- It has the attribute "More Damage To The Cursed", meaning that the second attack will deal more damage.
- Pick off the user at long range.
- Area damage and shotgun weapons (or any Primary you are comfortable with) decimate users.
- When caught in a melee battle, try striking the user first, backpedal, then strike again until the user dies.
- Stay out of range from a user of this weapon to prevent taking damage. Try engaging the user with a Primary weapon at medium range.
- Try running and jumping while attacking to avoid getting hit by the user's attacks, especially from the area damage attacks.
Have a weapon with a longer range if engaged in long-ranged combat.
- This, along with the Demon Catcher, Artefact, the Coal Frightener, the Dragon Bite, the Duck Hunter (it causes “More Damage to the Cursed” but it is hidden in the armory due to the 3 attribute rule), and the Ice Chaser are the only weapons with the "More Damage to the Cursed" attribute
- The weapon is a reference to anti-vampire methods used during the 18th century.
- As its name suggests, the spear is made out of aspen wood.
- Aspen stakes were believed to be an effective means of killing a vampire, as aspen was believed to be the wood used for the cross Jesus Christ was crucified on.
- The chain of garlic bulbs is also a reference to the belief that garlic was an effective means to fend off a vampire.