- Not to be confused with the terrain decoration.
The Asteroid is a Special weapon added in the 15.7.0 update. It can be obtained for a limited time during the Christmas holidays in the Armory.
It is a space-themed weapon that shoots a large flaming projectile, presumably a small meteor or asteroid (hence the name, “Asteroid”). It deals low damage, a very slow fire rate, an average capacity, and low mobility. 3 direct shots is required to kill, with delay and chain damage.
It possesses a grayish-brown barrel that is shaped like a burning asteroid, seperated in the middle horizontally as a railgun barrel that discharges red-hot flaming projectiles when fired presumably small meteors (hence the name "Asteroid"), with traces of glowing yellow and orange, symbolizing the heat produced during atmospheric entry. The Asteroid also has a teal and light blue body with a large unused iron sight and a small magazine at the back of the gun above its teal-colored stock, as well as a brownish grip with a red trigger. It appears to be a remodel of the Laser Bouncer.
This Asteroid performs similarly to the Heart of Volcano. This weapon shoots small meteors or asteroids that burns the player upon collisions. Projectiles have moderate travel time with crosshairs similar to the Laser Bouncer, its accuracy is not efficient at long range, but effective at medium range. This weapon also has a chain damage attribute, the projectile will chain itself with at most 3 other nearby enemies (from the initial target), and deal damage accordingly. The main target receives the maximum damage, while each chained target will receive less and less damage according to the order they are damaged by the chained projectile. Projectiles fired from this weapon induce burning upon targets, targets will continue to receive additional damage after the initial blast from the projectile.
When reloading, the weapon is flipped vertically and pointing downwards, the clip from the back is taken out, and a spare clip is inserted in and the player flips the weapon horizontally, having the exact same reload animation and sequence as the Laser Bouncer and Reflector. It has a fixed delay input. This means that once the player switches from any weapon to this weapon, the Asteroid always has a delay lasting around a second.
- The weapon shoots projectiles that have moderate travel speed, and in order to do damage, you must directly hit or hit incredibly close to the enemy, therefore requiring a lot of skill to use, therefore, close-range combat with this weapon is recommended.
- Do not be fooled by the impact animation of the projectile, although a rather huge explosion occurs at the point of impact of the projectile, it does not have area damage. Take this into account when using this weapon.
- Try using it on a compact group of enemies since it has chain damage.
- The Asteroid’s chain damage is also particularly effective in siege when shooting at enemies pushing the ram.
- This weapon requires good timing skills and prediction, it is not recommended to use this weapon unless you can predict your opponent's movement pattern well or have good timing skill as it does not have area damage, despite seeming to have some.
- This weapon has pullout delay, so be careful when switching to this weapon while in a fight.
- This weapon is very skill-based, refrain from using this weapon unless you are experienced with timing and prediction.
- Try strafing in order to dodge the projectiles.
- It has no area damage, so jump around.
- Attack the user from a long range.
- The projectiles of this weapon have very large hitboxes, take this into account when dealing with an Asteroid user.
Bring a powerful long-range weapon, like its sibling weapon, the Comet.
Projectile speed nerfed tremendously.
Chain damage of projectile no longer damages the same target 3 times.
Ammunition capacity nerfed from 10 to 8.
Weapon damage severely nerfed, by roughly 30%.
Weapon requires 3 direct hits in order to kill effectively.
- This weapon is based on asteroids, naturally occurring small astronomical bodies that are composed of rock or metallic material. These objects can pose a threat to life on planets during collision courses.
- It appears to be a remodeled laser bouncer, since the weapon shape, delay animation, and the shooting and reload animation is quite similar to the Laser Bouncer.
- This weapon had one of the fastest, if not, fastest projectile traveling speed, almost as fast as bullets (with travel time). This might have been a reference to real-life space rocks like asteroids, actually capable of traveling at breakneck speed.
- This weapon is the third weapon of the “Space Threats” set, along with the Saturn, Venus & Mercury, Comet and Meteor Shower.
- When upgraded to Mythical grade, this weapon functions the exact same the Heart Of Volcano does, similar fire rate, damage, ammo capacity, mobility. The only difference is that the Asteroid has a pullout delay, but has more accurate and smaller crosshairs.
- This weapon shares an exact same animation as Laser Bouncer/Reflector back during 2016.
- Although the armory icon of the Asteroid shows it’s yellow-orange details glowing, this weapon does not glow in the dark.
- The sound effect that plays when the Asteroid is cooling down to prepare for another shot, is the same as that of the Portalium Rifle
- Despite being a legendary, as of the 17.5 update it is now one of the weakest legendary weapons due to a massive nerf.