- For the the weapon of the same name, see Checkmate (Weapon).
Checkmate is a multiplayer map introduced in the 16.6.0 update.
The map is themed to an oversized chess board located in the middle of a peach colored void. Various game pieces can be seen in the distance. On the board itself, the pieces move and interact with each other, playing a game of chess during the battle. A large clock can be seen orbiting the map.
The board is surrounded by to-scale weapons, such as the Combat Knife, Pixel Gun, and Frag Grenade, on the white side, as well as a pair of brass knuckles, a Voodoo Doll, a mystical orb, a dagger, and the Curse Spell on the black side.
- If the player is in the way of a move, the piece will nudge you aside. Use the pieces to distract the opponent a bit.
- Don't be fooled. The weapons on the map do not do anything, and are only there for aesthetic purposes. The chess pieces don't kill the player either.
- You can fight the player outside the chess gameplay area so that the chess pieces do not get into your way.
- Use a wall break weapon in case someone hides between chess sets.
- If the player is in the way of a move, the piece will nudge them aside.
- The map is based on the real-life board game, Chess.
- Despite the Black King and Queen being in the wrong spots, the Black King behaves like a Queen and the Black Queen behaves like a King.
- Where it should have the lettering ranks for the chess board, it spells PIXELGUN instead.
- It is currently the only map to have to have terrains destroying other terrains.
- The chess pieces are not randomized. They always go in the same pattern every match.
- For those who are interested in the Chess piece movement pattern, this is a notation replay of how the pieces move:
1. e4 e5 2. f4 exf4 3. Bc4 Qh4+ 4. Kf1 b5 5. Bxb5 Nf6 6. Nf3 Qh6 7. d3 Nh5 8. Nh4 Qg5 9. Nf5 c6 10. g4 Nf6 11. Rg1 cxb5 12. h4 Qg6 13. h5 Qg5 14. Qf3 Ng8 15. Bxf4 Qf6 16. Nc3 Bc5 17. Nd5 Qxb2 18. Bd6 Bxg1 19. e5 Qxa1+ 20. Ke2 Na6 21. Nxg7+ Kd8 22. Qf6+ Nxf6 23. Be7# 1-0