|“||Here you are, oh, no, there you are. Even the Figaro would be suprised with such magic tricks.||”|
—Weapon’s description in Gallery
The Portal Cannon is a Heavy weapon introduced in the 16.5.0 update. It can be obtained for a limited time as part of the Trader's Van event in the armory.
It is a white gun that creates portals when fully charged. Although it is not a 1 shot, it deals an extremely high amount of damage when fully charged. It also has a slow fire rate, a high capacity, and slow mobility.
It features a silver-white body with a silver-white pistol grip, a red trigger, an exposed green/yellow core in the middle, black arms that rotate when charging, and a green container on top containing the energy source of the weapon.
When the player charges this weapon, the front part of the weapon will spin. When fully charged, it fires a portal. Two portals are needed to allow the user to teleport. These portals have area damage, but in any other case, when not fully charged, the gun can be used as a Heavy weapon with regular properties, but the damage also depends on how much the weapon is charged.
As of the 17.6.0 update, a new limitation mechanic was introduced in the weapon, but particularly in Flag Capture: If the person, who uses this weapon, carries the flag, it will be dropped upon the firing of this weapon.
When reloading, the player takes out the clip and replaces it with another.
It has a fixed delay input. This means that once the player switches from any weapon to this weapon, the Portal Cannon always has a delay lasting around half of a second.
- This weapon can be used as a utility weapon for traveling distances and around the map. However, it is effective as an offensive weapon as well.
- This is especially useful when trying to infiltrate the enemy team's position by creating a portal near their position.
- One can use this in Capture game modes as means of escaping or quick traveling.
- This weapon can 1 shot a player if it is upgraded to maximum efficiency, charged fully, and certain modules are placed in it. Commonly however, this weapon cannot one-shot. However, the quick charge up time makes up for the damage.
- Use this in close to medium range for a less complicated duel and also due to its bullet travel time.
- Not every fully-charged shot will produce a portal.
- You can hit the ground spot that is near your opponent because this has area damage.
- Go for the weakened players for better ammunition conserving and quicker kill registering.
- It can be difficult to look around while keeping a charged shot, so only charge this weapon if you are in an area with many enemies.
- A full shot takes 16/100 of the capacity.
- When making portals, try to fire the first portal in a safe location away from enemies.
- It should be noted that only the user can use the portals, meaning that enemies and other teammates cannot use them.
- The portals despawn within 10 seconds.
- The portals are two-way, meaning that either portal will teleport the user to the other.
- If a user charges up the weapon dies, the attack will still activate upon death, this is useful for going in suicide runs towards enemies, as it is possible to kill an enemy post-death if caught in the blast radius.
- Use the portal in emergencies, although the portal creation time can be slow.
- Immediately switch to any other weapon (except the Vertical Grip Device, the Pulling Sucker Gun, and the Fatality Hook) before capturing the flag in Flag Capture.
- Pick off the user at long range.
- Strafe while jumping to minimize the damage from the weapon.
- Flank around the user then use a melee weapon to deal quick damage and then pull back. However, you can do so if you are able to flank its users.
- Strategize your teammates about being in front of the user's portals, so he will be lured to teleport, only to be damaged by you and your teammates if done correctly.
- Try attacking the user with a high fire rate weapon while they are charging for the shot.
- Avoid getting hit at all costs, as it can severely cripple your health/armour.
- You cannot enter its users' portals, so try to estimate their initial and final destination of portals they make.
- Do not try to shoot towards the portals, since bullets cannot pass through it.
- This weapon's projectiles will be released if its user is killed while he/she is charging.
- Be wary of the current users on the map, keep an eye out on where the portals are and where he/she is aiming at.
- One can utilize the portals against the user using weapons such as the Demoman or the Watchy-Snipy on the portal, so the sticky mines will damage the player once the portal is used.
This weapon should be used as a utility weapon than an offensive weapon. Equip a powerful Primary and Sniper weapon. However, you can use this weapon to get a few kills.
- Initial release date.
- Its damage got buffed but it now needs a longer charging time. Lasting around 4 seconds.
- One can no longer escape with the flag with this weapon in Flag Capture anymore. The flag will drop when they attempt to escape with it.
- It is the first weapon to featuring the Teleportation attribute.
- It's abilities is similar to the Portal Gun from the Portal series. However its appearance is similar to the Portal Cannon from the show, Rick and Morty.
- There is a glitch that allows players to get outside the map using this weapon, or within map structures that normally cannot be entered.
- It is also one of the first weapons to be in 2 different gallery sets