|This article is a featured article, which means it is identified as one of the best articles produced by the Pixel Gun Wiki.|
|This content is available in both Pixel Gun 3D and Pixel Gun World! If this is a game content, its counterpart is described in another article!|
It has a grey body, with an orange battery. The energy source in the barrel is neon purple, with two spring-loaded rings around it. There is a silver "1" painted on it, possibly markings from its manufacturer, or possibly from its former name, Prototype PSR 1. It fires purple lasers, that can go through walls.
The Prototype has a generally high damage output, low capacity, somewhat fast rate of fire and low mobility. Since the 16.1.0 update, the weapon has now become a 1-2 headshots kill at its max efficiency.
- This weapon has a low capacity, try to make sure every shot counts. If a target is extremely mobile, it is better to use something that slows the target, then execute them with this weapon.
- Use this weapon at long range with the scope.
- Try to strafe around when using this weapon, especially in Sniper Forts, as other snipers can kill you if you are not moving.
- Aim on the head to maximize Efficiency per shot.
- Make sure to reload every time you secured a kill, however be sure you are safe.
- Take advantage of the weapon's laser trail to find where the opponent is located regardless of hit/miss.
- Use other snipers, preferably wall-break ones, to counter this. The Third Eye is also a good idea as you can locate these snipers easily with its X-Ray Vision ability, though lacking wall break.
- Go in close range and counter this weapon with a shotgun or flamethrower.
- Always strafe around when using this weapon. Staying in one spot would most likely get you killed by this weapon, even at close range.
- This weapon has slow reload speed. Take advantage of this when the enemy is reloading.
- Use area damage weapons and perform Rocket Jumping to mess up the Prototype user's aim.
- Using Prototype yourself can be effective when countering its users.
- Category Spam to kill users easily.
- Avoid hallways when users are wielding wall break weapons like this one due to its high damage output and wall break ability.
- Carry around a high-mobility weapon to easily traverse around the map as well as finding sniping spots.
- An automatic primary or backup weapon to finish off a weakened opponent.
Note: This history is not directly present in the Pixel Gun 3D series. Instead, it is more of an “easter egg” type side story.
Through Gordon's research, he and his team discovered a portal-creating element (unofficially named 'portal crystal'), which they found fascinating and somehow weaponized it, and the Prototype was born in Area 52.
- It was the first railgun-type sniper rifle introduced into the game with wallbreaking and piercing abilities. Since then, many other similar-ability weapons such as its much more expensive successor the Anti-Hero Rifle and a backup in the form of the Exterminator have been introduced, however, this weapon still holds a place in many veteran players' hearts over its modern versions purely for nostalgic purposes.
- Along with other weapons, even though this gun deals massive damage, it cannot kill certain mobs or bosses in Campaign or Arena in one shot.
- It is unknown what kind of weapon it's based on though it draws some resemblance to some weapons:
- Call of Duty: Black Ops II's Storm PSR (Piercing Sniper Rifle).
- It is vaguely similar to the Promethean Light Rifle from Halo 4 (although the promethean light rifle carries much more ammo in its "clip" and lacks the ability to wallbang)
- The community may think that "PSR" that it stands for Plasma Sniper Rifle, or Prototype Sniper Rifle.
- Before the 9.3.0. update, each time the gun had fired, a purple box pops out of the receiver, and the player pushes the box back in. However, that action was removed and the action is now only seen while reloading.
- However, you can now see similar action in the 15.7.0 update.
- In the 8.0.0 update, it received 2 upgrades. However, this, along with other upgrade features, was replaced by the small +1 efficiency upgrades.
- A character named Gordon "originally" invented this weapon, according to its lore.
- Enemies killed by the Prototype suffer a distinctive death by vaporization, where they are frozen in place and disintegrate into purple colored particles. However, this is no longer exclusive to this weapon anymore.
- It is the only gun with golden skin that changes the gun texture.
- Its upgrades were removed in the 12.5.0 update, meaning that it now retains its original '1' weapon skin permanently (unless the gold skin is equipped).
- It is unknown what exactly it is a prototype of. Though it probably is a prototype of a handheld railgun.
- It was severely powercrept when Combat Level Update introduced. It has an upgraded version known as the Prototype S and this is more like a re-skin than an upgrade. The Prototype S was far more powerful than the Prototype, being a 1-shot kill versus the Prototype's 4-5 shots kill.
- This was no longer the case after the release of the 15.1.0 update, as both of them took 1-2 headshots to kill.
- At one time from 15.2.0, Prototype experienced a bug that bodyshot critically injures your opponents by 90% and guaranteed a headshot kill.
- It was fixed a day later.
- Its kill icon is identical to the removed Prototype UP2.
- In the 16.0.0 update, it can 1-2 headshot kill when maxed out.
- This weapon is very commonly used by newbies.
- Even though this weapon is used by lower levels, it can be very powerful when maxed out.
- In the 16.2.0 update, it can possibly one bodyshot you if maxed out.
- It got its ammo buffed from 4 to 8 in the recent update.
- In the 16.5.0 update, according to the gallery, the “portal crystal” that fuels Prototype’s beams are “Portalium”. It may also apply to Portalium rifle, Prototype S and other railgun based weapons. It won’t affect gameplay, however it’s just an easter egg.